I have been dying to share with you all some of our family's favorite recipes from Vegetarian January. We've decided to keep some of our favorites in the rotation for February and keep expanding our vegetarian recipe base. If you MUST include some animal protein, GO FOR IT! Throw in some grilled chicken or steak.
INGREDIENTS • 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 1 head broccoli, chopped into bite-size florets
• 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced (or color of your choice)
• 1 red onion, halved and sliced
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• ¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
• ¼ teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
• 2 cups cooked brown rice
• 1 avocado, peel and pit removed, diced
• ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
• 1 cup Sweet-and-Spicy BBQ Sauce (be sure it's vegan)
• Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
• Spread out the chickpeas, broccoli, bell peppers, and onion on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Spread them out in one even layer. Roast for 20 minutes, mix the veggies, and swap the pans in the oven so the one on top is now on the bottom. Roast for another 10 to 15 minutes until the veggies are starting to char and the chickpeas are crispy (they will continue to crisp up as they sit).
• Add ½ cup of cooked rice to each of 4 bowls. Divvy up the roasted vegetables, diced avocado, and cilantro equally among the bowls. Drizzle with the BBQ sauce.
Serves 4 UPF: 1 yellow, 1 blue, 2 green, ½ orange