What is a special occasion without a special cocktail. AND what's even better, making the kids feel special by creating them one of their own. First things first you need to make the vegan caramel sauce. Best part, you can make this up to a month in advance in an airtight container in the fridge, AND you can use the leftovers on ice cream. YUM!
Ingredients: 3 tsp. Vegan Caramel Sauce, divided use (see recipe below for Vegan Caramel Sauce) Ice ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk 1½ fl. oz. apple brandy for (for the kiddos sub in ¼ cup unsweetened apple juice) 1 dash pure vanilla extract
1 thin slice apple (for garnish; optional) Instructions: 1. Drizzle inside of a chilled martini glass with ½ tsp. caramel sauce. Set aside.
2. Fill a cocktail shaker ½ full of ice.
3. Add almond milk, brandy (or apple juice), remaining
2½ tsp. caramel sauce, and extract; shake vigorously for 15 seconds.
4. Strain into prepared martini glass.
5. Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon and apple (if desired); enjoy!
Recipe for Vegan Caramel Sauce
½ cup coconut sugar
2 to 3 Tbsp. water
1 cup canned coconut milk (shake well before opening)
1 pinch sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
1. Combine sugar and water in small saucepan until you have the consistency of wet sand.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until sugar has dissolved and syrup is a rich dark brown, but not burned.
3. Add coconut milk slowly; cook, stirring constantly, for 12 to 15 minutes, or until sugar has dissolved again and sauce is hot. (Be careful when adding coconut milk as mixture could splatter and sugar might seize.) Remove from heat.
4. Add salt and extract; mix well. Allow to cool before serving.
TIP: Extra sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a month and softened in the microwave before serving.