I have been on the search to recreate the pecan pie skillet from Puckett's Grocery & Restaurant since the moment I laid my lips upon that spoon. It's 1/2 pie 1/2 cake ALL amazing. Best served warm straight out of the oven with a BIG scoop of vanilla ice cream right on top!
This pie may be "clean", but it’s definitely not conducive to losing weight. It is, however, technically clean. Any time you have pecans, you’re going to get a lot of fat. There’s no way around that. Even this pie has a lot of fat. But the difference is, all the ingredients are real, whole food. So your body actually gets nutrition from it. Plus, the fat from the pecans is healthy fat. So even though this is still high in fat, it’s far better than the stuff you buy or get in a restaurant.
But this is a special occasion food. BEST shared with a whole table of folks. So grab a spoon and jump right in!
SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: 2 small cast iron pans (or 1 medium sized)
3/4 cups honey (for medium sweetness - 1/2 cup for less sweet - 1 cup for super sweet)
3 large egg whites (whipped with a fork)
2 tbsp. melted
1 cup raw pecan pieces (chop fine after measuring)
1 cup raw pecan halves
4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 Tbsp butter, cubed
1 box Cake Mix Doctor Simply Yellow
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Mix honey egg whites, pecans, vanilla and cinnamon in a medium bowl
3. Pour mixture into the cast iron pan or pans. BE CAREFUL NOT to overfill. You want at least 1/2 inch of space between the top of filling & edge of pan.
4. Sprinkle cake mix (DRY) on top of pecan filling until completely covered. You won't use the whole box.
5. Dot with butter.
6. Bake for 25 minutes or until top is brown and crusty.
7. Top with 1 big scoop of vanilla ice cream.